What Happens If I Get Injured At Work?

Accidents at work can happen all the time, but if it affects you then it is important that you know your rights, what you should do and how you can get compensation after the accident. Accidents at and injuries at work can range from minor injuries, knocks and scrapes to major and life changing injuries like brain injuries (more information at Brian Barr Solicitors) and more. TechRound has made this handy guide so that you know the best way to deal with an accident at work if you get injured.

Make Records

One of the most important things you can do is to make a record of your accident. It is important to make this as detailed as possible so that you can claim compensation or benefits such as Statutory Sick Pay.

You can record your accident either through your own work, such as speaking to your manager or putting it into the accidents book, or through a registered doctor. It is important to see a doctor as soon as possible so that they can make an official medical record of your accident.

The best way to keep a detailed record of the accident is to take photos of your injury and whatever caused the accident. As well as this you should make sure that you have the contact details of anyone who witnessed the incident and you should ask these people to make notes of what happened and share it with you. You should as soon as you physically can make notes about the accident, a detailed account of what exactly happened and you can even include drawings if that helps establish your point.

Getting Paid When You Are Not Working

It is important that if you are not able to work because of an accident at work then you continue to get paid whilst you are off of work. To do this you must check your contract with your employer to see if you can contractual sick pay from your employer or if you have access to an employee assistant helpline or medical care.

If your contract does not mention anything about sick or accident pay then ask a superior and find out what the regulations in your company are. You should check on the government website whether you are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay which you can receive for up to 28 weeks.

You might be able to claim other benefits but make sure to do your research to see what you would be eligible for, e.g. Universal Credit.

Making An Injury Claim

Most importantly, you will most likely want to make a compensation or injury claim for the damage that has been done to you at work. Especially if you believe your accident was your employer’s or client’s fault you may be able to claim a large amount of compensation for your injuries.

It is paramount that you get legal advice from a lawyer as soon as possible so that you can start your claim immediately as they can often take some time. Finding a specialist solicitor can help take the burden off of you so that you can make the best claim possible and can get the compensation you deserve because of your injury.