Prior to launching my business, I was a mental health nurse for the NHS. I studied Psychology at university which helped me with the research around founding my brand and my skin problems. My business Botanycl was created in 2018 after suffering from skin problems since I was a teenager and well into adulthood.
After trying different products with no results, I started to research scientific studies and testimonials which led to natural, plant-based ingredients which completely cleared my skin.
How did you come up with the idea for the company?
After suffering skin problems for many years and trying products that didn’t work, I decided to take matters into my own hands and develop my own product. Trying over-the-counter products like retinoids further caused damage to my skin. Additionally, I tried laser treatments and antibiotics – neither solved the problem.
My research into plant-based ingredients to balance the hormones led me to create SkinClear Elixir.
More from Interviews
- Meet Jamie Kyte, Founder at Kyte Financial Planning & The Retirement Guy
- Startup Profile: myPlane
- Meet Erik Wikander, CEO and Co-Founder At Content Marketing Platform: Zupyak
- Monica Eaton, Founder and CEO of Chargebacks911 and Women In Tech Judge, Explains What She’s Looking for From Entrants
- Meet Owen Thompson, CEO of Cambridge Future Tech
- Investor Insights: Everything You Need To Know About Index Ventures
- Investor Insights: Everything You Need To Know About Downing Capital Group
- Meet Sheryl Cuisia, CEO and Co-Founder, The Engagement Appeal
How has the company evolved during the pandemic?
Botanycl launched in Holland and Barrett in February right before the 1st lockdown. So this prevented people from going into the stores to buy. However, more people were buying online so we were able to increase online sales, especially as people were turning to vitamin supplements to support their immune system, and wanted to go natural due to increased health awareness.
What can we hope to see from Botanycl in the future?
My aim would be to continue to build the brand and expand the range with different supplements. So far, the range includes supplements for immune support, skin health and energy. We have a new hair growth supplement launching soon which has an exciting ingredient list!
The product’s results speak for themselves as we’ve had a fantastic 73% with clearing acne in women. Many women describe SkinClear Elixir as changing their life due to giving them their confidence back – this is the most rewarding part. We also launched in Holland and Barrett last year and are now looking to expand internationally.