Atlas Biomed is a UK-based preventative health company specialising in personalised genetic health testing. There are currently two products on the market: the DNA test and the microbiome test, which go directly to consumers.
The Atlas Microbiome Test provides consumers with direct insight into their gut health status and personalised advice on how it can be improved through diet, exercise and lifestyle changes. The microbiome test analyses the gut bacteria, the so-called microbiome, of a person for their ability to metabolise and synthesise nutrients, to protect them from diseases and to break down fibre.
The DNA test by Atlas Biomed evaluates a person’s genetic markers for complex disease risks, carrier status for hereditary diseases, nutrition, exercise and ancestry.
Atlas Biomed’s mission is to use evidence-based technologies to advance disease prevention and health care and to promote positive lifestyle changes before diseases can occur. With our two tests, we offer consumers a holistic view of their personal health. We launched commercially in Europe in 2016, and since then the company has quickly expanded with sales in 16 countries across Europe as well as Canada and, most recently, Japan.
How did you come up with the idea for the company?
Back in 2011 I was awarded a place at the Singularity University in Silicon Valley, a unique place that recruits entrepreneurial minds to explore how emerging technologies can shape the future. And that is where the seed of Atlas was born. Having worked on projects in hospital settings, I could see how precision technologies could help develop personalised solutions to address the world’s growing burden of chronic illness. As DNA technologies became widespread and costs fell, this new market finally emerged, and so did Atlas.
More from Interviews
- Meet Jamie Beaumont, Founder at ‘Hire Now, Pay Later’ Company: Playter Pay
- Interview with Alex Tomchenko, CEO & Founder at Beauty Booking App: Glambook
- A Chat With Elisabeth Clare, Founder at Cell Regeneration Technology Company: MBST UK
- Interview with Benjamin Puncher, CEO at Supply Chain Management Platform: CORE
- A Chat With Aki Tsuchiya, Co-Founder and CEO at Audience Analytics Platform: Streamhub
- Interview with Keya Lamba, Co-Founder at Earth Warriors Global: Climate & Sustainability Education for Young Children
- A Chat With LJ Silverman, Head of LSE Generate: Supporting Students & Alumni To Build Socially Responsible Businesses
- Interview with Dr Simon Bourne, Co-Founder at My mhealth: Digital Therapeutics For Long-Term Conditions
What advice would you give to other aspiring entrepreneurs?
Take care of your body, and your mind. Health, physical and mental, are essential allies if you’re breaking ground with new ideas. There’ll be no shortage of stress, pressure and external demands, and it’s easy to put work before your body.
Fortunately, discussions around mental health for start-up founders and CEOs are now gaining traction too, and with the science behind diet and physical activity for your brain, cognitive health and wellbeing, make your health a priority.
What can we hope to see from Atlas Biomed in the future?
Atlas Biomed has grown rapidly in the UK, which is why we have expanded into other markets with our products, as interest in a balanced gut flora on the part of health-conscious consumers continues to grow. Last month we launched in Japan. We are one of the market leaders for microbiome sales in the UK and we want to be the global provider of preventive health testing for consumers in the coming years, giving as many people as possible the opportunity to learn more about their health, motivate positive lifestyle changes and lead them into a healthier future.