ExpatBuddy is a new, free mobile app connecting expats with like-minded expats.
Available on the Apple App store and Google Play, the learning-based algorithm allows users to connect with recommended nearby expats who have a vested interest in helping each other. Expats can become ‘Buddies’, network professionally, and find all the practical support they need in one place.
How did you come up with the idea for the company?
My background is in User Experience Design. I have a passion for creating interfaces that bring joy and make people feel empowered. I’ve worked for companies including PayPal, Amazon, SurveyMonkey, as well as agencies and startups.
I always knew I would found my own company. From an early age I wanted to build something that would make a real difference to people’s lives. I made it my mission to transform the lives of at least one million people. When fate brought me in touch with Dimitar Vlahov who is now our CMO, I knew it was the right time to get started, and with the perfect companion.
More from Interviews
- A Chat With Jo Wickremasinghe, VP of Product, Zoopla
- Meet Victoria Usher, Founder and CEO At GingerMay
- A Chat with Philip Linardos, Co-Founder and CEO at ShelfNow: Where Buyers Meet Artisan Producers
- Meet Aman Birdi, Founder & CEO at App Development Company: Digiruu
- From BAME to Business – Meet Shivvy Jervis
- Meet James Ridsdale, Director and Head of Services at dataJAR
- A Chat with Andries Smit, CEO and Founder at Intelligence Cashback App: Upside Saving
- A Chat with Jesse Shemen, CEO & Co-Founder at AI Video Translation Software: Papercup
What advice would you give to other aspiring entrepreneurs?
I would urge aspiring entrepreneurs to be absolutely clear in their minds about why they are starting a company. Their mission must be in line with their values as a human being. If you really believe in your product and your goals, you’ll get there.
My number one piece of advice is to build a team you can rely on. Seek out the people who share your passion for your goal and who bring something unique and complementary to the table. If you have a team on the same wavelength as you, it’s easier to overcome any challenges, and to stay focused on your end goals.
What can we hope to see from ExpatBuddy in the future?
While I feel ExpatBuddy has already progressed a lot, in fact we’re just getting started.
We’re listening to our customers and now investing in the technology that they want. These exciting new features will revolutionise the way people abroad go about their lives.
The ExpatBuddy experience will become more personalised, allowing expats to connect with whomever they need for an easier, more grounded and happier life overseas.