ExpatBuddy is a new, free mobile app connecting expats with like-minded expats.
Available on the Apple App store and Google Play, the learning-based algorithm allows users to connect with recommended nearby expats who have a vested interest in helping each other. Expats can become ‘Buddies’, network professionally, and find all the practical support they need in one place.
How did you come up with the idea for the company?
My background is in User Experience Design. I have a passion for creating interfaces that bring joy and make people feel empowered. I’ve worked for companies including PayPal, Amazon, SurveyMonkey, as well as agencies and startups.
I always knew I would found my own company. From an early age I wanted to build something that would make a real difference to people’s lives. I made it my mission to transform the lives of at least one million people. When fate brought me in touch with Dimitar Vlahov who is now our CMO, I knew it was the right time to get started, and with the perfect companion.
More from Interviews
- Meet Anna Marcovici, Founder at Edible Beauty Supplement: Manifesto Beauty
- A Chat with Lucas Martinez, Co-CEO at Online Job Search Platform: Talent.com
- A Chat with Brad Wilson, CEO and Founder at Blockchain Corporation: NuPay Technologies
- A Chat With Eric Huttman, CEO at Independent FXaaS: MillTechFX
- Meet Dr Rumina Taylor, Chief Clinical Officer at Online Therapy and Coaching Platform: HelloSelf
- Meet Rafael Rozenson, Founder at Protein Brand: Vieve
- A Chat with Lindsay Forster, CEO at Smart Asset Checking Service: Shepper
- A Chat with Mark Walker-Smith, Head of Business at SaaS-Based Platform: Sekel Tech
What advice would you give to other aspiring entrepreneurs?
I would urge aspiring entrepreneurs to be absolutely clear in their minds about why they are starting a company. Their mission must be in line with their values as a human being. If you really believe in your product and your goals, you’ll get there.
My number one piece of advice is to build a team you can rely on. Seek out the people who share your passion for your goal and who bring something unique and complementary to the table. If you have a team on the same wavelength as you, it’s easier to overcome any challenges, and to stay focused on your end goals.
What can we hope to see from ExpatBuddy in the future?
While I feel ExpatBuddy has already progressed a lot, in fact we’re just getting started.
We’re listening to our customers and now investing in the technology that they want. These exciting new features will revolutionise the way people abroad go about their lives.
The ExpatBuddy experience will become more personalised, allowing expats to connect with whomever they need for an easier, more grounded and happier life overseas.