Little Cooks Co is a little box of baking joy for children! We send our happy little boxes out each month, containing all the dry organic ingredients to make healthy baking recipes which have been created by a qualified nutritionist.
The kits are designed to be as nutrient-dense as possible for children, and we highlight a nutrient in each kit to give children an early understanding that food and the body are inextricably linked, but in a fun, non-scary way! But just as important is the opportunity our kits give families to connect and make memories together in the kitchen, away from screens and distractions.
How did you come up with the idea for the company?
Nutrition has always been my passion, but for some reason, I didn’t think about trying to make a career out of it until I hit my 30s! I was working in Cabinet Office and No.10 when I left to go on maternity leave to have my son in 2013.
I absolutely loved my career in Government but the hours could be brutal and the stress intense. Having my son was transformative and gave me the courage to quit my job and retrain for 3 years in nutrition.
It quickly became clear to me that unless we give children the skills and confidence to be able to cook, they won’t have any choice but to eat processed food and takeaways when they are older. If we really want to tackle childhood obesity, we need to teach children how to cook and give them an early understanding of how food and the body are inextricably linked.
More from Interviews
- A Chat with Katy Wigdahl, CEO at Speech-to-Text Software AI: Speechmatics
- Meet Mario Ciabarra, CEO at Continuous Product Design Platform: Quantum Metric
- A Chat with Octavi Royo, Founder and CEO at Digital Art Platform: Agora
- A Chat with Gustav Schauman, CEO and Founder at Disruptive Golf Sneaker Brand: Goatlane
- Meet Gervase Fay Fernandes, Co-Founder & Commercial Director at Health & Her
- A Chat with Howard Marks, CEO and Co-Founder at Premier Start-Up Investment Platform: StartEngine
- A Chat with David Brown, CEO of Social Enterprise Fintech: Hi
- Meet Christina Kosmowski, CEO at Cloud-Based Monitoring Platform: LogicMonitor
What advice would you give to other aspiring female entrepreneurs?
Read the book Mindset by Carol Dweck! I would say that addressing my mindset has been the most important part of my journey – moving away from one that feared failure to one that sees it as an opportunity to learn and grow. It’s taken a while (and a lot of reading and practising) but I am getting there!
What can we hope to see from Little Cooks Co in the future?
We have some exciting plans in store. We are just about to launch in Boots UK as part of their Christmas gifting range which is incredibly exciting. We are also looking to expand further abroad. I am cautious not to do this too quickly though and at the moment it is all about getting through the Christmas period without dropping any (or at least not too many) balls!