Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the comfort and convenience of home. We launched Peloton in the UK in 2018 and our content is accessible through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Bike+ and the Peloton Tread, along with the Peloton App, which provides a full slate of fitness offerings, wherever you are.
What was the inspiration for Peloton?
Peloton was founded in 2012 in New York City and the inspiration behind Peloton is simple, people want to workout – but there are a lot of obstacles that stand in the way of their doing so. Our CEO and Co-Founder, John Foley, experienced this firsthand when he and his wife, Jill, could no longer manage to fit studio classes into their busy schedules with two kids at home.
So, the idea for Peloton was born: bring studio-style, group fitness classes home, so you can access the motivation, power, and intensity of these classes anytime, anywhere.
More from Interviews
- Alberto Lopez Valenzuela Interview – “Five predicted trends for business and its engagement with society in 2021”
- Interview with Henrik Müller-Hansen, CEO and Founder at Gelato
- Interview with Stafford Sumner, Founder and Managing Director at Email Marketing Agency: Jarrang
- Interview with Erik Fossum Færevaag, Founder and President at Disruptive Technologies
- Interview with Fariba Mahmoudieh, Founder at The MyKidsy Podcast
- Interview with Cate Murden, Founder at Wellbeing and Performance Company: PUSH
- Interview with Ashlee Ackland, Founder at Sequin Clothing Company: Sparklebutt
- Interview with Ben Alderton, Founder at Private Gym Network: Solo60
How has the company evolved during the pandemic?
As a company, we had to adapt in many ways from how our teams worked to how we interfaced with Members across Retail, Operations and Content. For example, when our studios in London and New York closed, we adapted to teaching Live from Home classes.
We also switched to a minimal contact delivery method where we deliver the Bike to the threshold of your home. Lastly, we began offering virtual appointments for the Peloton Bike, Bike+ and Tread in place of in-person demonstrations in our retail showrooms. Above all though, we’re proud that we’ve been able to help people focus on their physical, mental and emotional wellbeing especially during these challenging times.
What can we hope to see from Peloton in the future?
We’ve recently launched the Peloton Tread in mainland UK. The Peloton Tread combines a modern design with Peloton’s compelling running and strength training content for an intense full-body workout.
In addition, we’ve just announced an extended free trial period for the Peloton App from 30 days to two months for anyone who signs up before 31st January 2021. We believe that everyone should have access to high-quality workouts from the convenience and comfort of home. In September 2020, we lowered the price of the original Peloton Bike and with the Peloton App, you can access all of our content without Peloton hardware. Ultimately, it’s about providing multiple points of entry into the Peloton community and making our content as accessible as possible.