Little Black Door is The Social Wardrobe app to see, style and share your wardrobe with friends and your fashion community. In essence, LBD, is a consumer product with a heavy social layering. We have a focus on capturing purchases/what users own to create high wardrobe engagement, whilst building in adjacencies with retail and resale to create longevity and utility for users.
We’ve wrapped this in a playful brand (that champions investment in quality fashion) and an entertaining UX stuffed with features that tap into sharing of fashion, both online and off, namely via our LOOKBOOK feature to style and share collections that includes a BORROW button for friends.
How did you come up with the idea for the company?
In 2018 we saw our own behaviour with fashion; overbuying, underusing, reselling and sharing outfits online. It wasn’t just us; there were generations of women over-consuming fashion. When you strip it back, we basically didn’t have a clue what we owned and weren’t valuing fashion anymore. Pretty unsustainable.
We were both working in consumer tech at the time and thought, we can build a product for this. We spent six months researching and sense testing every fashion tech, social product and concept for managing and engaging with wardrobes that we could find. At the end, we took the notion of a digital wardrobe and we made its next generation, taking a platform-first design approach.
More from Interviews
- A Chat with Ashlie Collins, Founder at Coaching, Training and Consulting Company: Humane Startup
- Meet Ed Rossiter, Founder and Co-CEO at Irish Recruitment Brand: Phoenix
- A Chat with Christian Schiller, Co-Founder & CEO at Global Marketplace For Circular Plastics: cirplus
- Meet Felix Atkin, Founder of Sharesy
- A Chat With Baljinder Gill, Founder at Hair Restoration Product Company: Regrowz.com
- Meet Dr Karan Metha, CEO at Bluezone Insurance: An Insurtech Reinventing Life Insurance For People With Chronic Illnesses
- A Chat with James Sommerville, Founder at Creative Platform: Known_Unknown
- Meet Dr Joe Lyske, Chief Science Officer at Deeptech & Banking Firm: Tintra
What advice would you give to other aspiring female entrepreneurs?
Know your market, be the expert. Read everything about your space, network relentlessly and talk to anyone and everyone that offers insight into what you are doing. Basically never be outplayed!
Lastly commit body and soul, you just have to give it everything you have and more.
What can we hope to see from Little Black Door in the future?
In the short term, you’ll see us soft-launching in the next few months, announcing partnerships with e-stores and brands that we love.
Sometime in the future, we see users everywhere tapping LBD to see what they have in their wardrobes and share collections with friends. We’re building a fabulous virtual wardrobe world full of fashion lovers that use LBD to be more engaged with what they own and see the value of with their wardrobes.