I help people to start shoe brands; from concept to launch and beyond. My clients are entrepreneurs who have previously struggled to gain access to expertise and contacts within the footwear industry.
The Shoe Consultant was founded in 2015 with the purpose of changing the world of shoes for the better. I encourage my clients to put their customers first in everything they do.
How did you come up with the idea for the company?
I had been working in the shoe business since 1998, acquiring retail, design, buying, product management and sales experience. After working as an employee for footwear retailers and brands for so long, I wanted to start my own business.
I wrote a public-facing blog whilst still working for a global shoe brand, and called it The Shoe Consultant. I wasn’t able to monetise it, but the name inspired my next move.
I decided to use my expertise to help individuals who wanted to launch their own shoe companies.
More from Interviews
- Monica Eaton, Founder and CEO of Chargebacks911 and Women In Tech Judge, Explains What She’s Looking for From Entrants
- Meet Owen Thompson, CEO of Cambridge Future Tech
- Investor Insights: Everything You Need To Know About Index Ventures
- Investor Insights: Everything You Need To Know About Downing Capital Group
- Meet Sheryl Cuisia, CEO and Co-Founder, The Engagement Appeal
- Investor Insights: Everything You Need To Know About Sure Valley Ventures
- Meet Lenitha Bishop, Chief Operating Officer At The DPO Centre.
- Interview With Olly Craughan, Head of Sustainability at DPD
What advice would you give to other aspiring entrepreneurs?
Try out a few potential revenue streams (or shoe styles/colours) at first. Be prepared to move away from your less popular products or services, to focus on those which are working well. Concentrating your time and energy on popular lines and really listening to your customers will allow you to grow more quickly.
Structure your time well. If you can motivate yourself to complete the hardest task on your to-do list first thing in the morning, the rest of your day will feel easier (and definitely more smug).
What can we hope to see from The Shoe Consultant in the future?
In June 2020, I launched my online course all about How to Start a Shoe Brand. This is a permanent offer in addition to the one-to-one consultancy services I provide to my clients.
I have also just begun a series of online masterclasses for shoe entrepreneurs. I explore an important topic in depth, by interviewing shoe brand founders and answering questions from footwear start-up attendees.
In the future, I am looking to build a membership community to enable aspiring and established shoe brand founders to share knowledge.