We are Andy, Antonia and Katerina, a mother and two daughters who decided to turn a passion project into a family business. Antonia gave birth to our beloved Lexie in 2018 and on Lexie’s first birthday party, Andy had designed and made some baby bibs as gifts, which is where it all started. Katerina and Andy are both creatives with Andy having over 40 years’ experience supplying high street fashion brands, and Antonia has a corporate background, so that collective experience has helped shape Lexie Drew into what it has become.
The best thing about Lexie Drew is that we are a family and we get to work with each other every day. We understand each other on a level that other business owners may not, so we are constantly grateful to spend so much time together bouncing ideas off each other on a day to day basis.
How did you come up with the idea for the company?
As a first time mum, Antonia found that she wasn’t satisfied with some of the baby products on the market and had simply not found any absorbent enough bibs for serial drooler Lexie whilst keeping her looking stylish at the same time.
So, Andy, with a long career history in fashion, introduced some new products at Lexie’s 1st birthday party and Lexie Drew was born. Following some amazing feedback from family and friends, it finally gave us all the big push to start our journey in building Lexie Drew. After extensive research and an increased awareness of the importance of using organic materials, we decided to use organic bamboo towelling for the bibs that was not only extremely absorbant, but also incredibly soft.
More from Interviews
- A Chat with Laura Whitt-Winyard, Chief Information Security Officer at Cybersecurity Company: Malwarebytes
- Meet Keiran Hewkin, Co-Founder at Homeware Business: Swyft Home
- Q&A with Laurent Descout, CEO Founder at Neo
- A Chat with Dawn Baxter, Digital Marketing Expert, Certified Positive Psychology Coach & Founder at Beyond the Dawn Digital
- Meet Jonathan Patrick, CEO at Telemedicine Company: Consultant Connect
- A Chat with Edo Liberty, Founder and CEO at API-First Database: Pinecone
- Meet Josh Gill, CEO and Founder at Business Water Retailer & Water Supplier: Everflow
- A Chat with Jürgen Galler, CEO and Co-Founder at AI-Powered Data Management Platform: 1plusX
What advice would you give to other aspiring entrepreneurs?
The advice we would give to anyone who wants to start a baby business is to think about what you would want in a baby product and use that to your advantage, don’t forget to test your products – listen to the feedback and be open to adapt your products to work for other people. Your idea of what you might want in a product may not be what other parents want and it’s been beneficial to us to be open-minded in the production stage.
What can we hope to see from Lexie Drew in the future?
In five years time, we’d love to be walking down any street globally and see Lexie Drew on little ones, from London to New York. We also want the brand to grow and adapt as Lexie grows – e.g. when Lexie is 5, we want our products to match up to what Lexie and other children her age would want, as well as products that parents of a five year old would need. From a young age, Lexie helped us choose one of our most popular fabrics and so she is just as important as the rest of us in growing as a business!