English Like A Native is an English language learning platform that provides an innovative, immersive online English learning experience that supports all the key needs of our students. We provide courses, English practice classes and a thriving online community in which students can meet and practice.
How did you come up with the idea for the company?
I am a trained actress. I used to teach elocution and started sharing practice lessons with my students on youtube. I suddenly realised that YouTube was paying me for my videos and things spiralled from there. I now have over a million followers across YouTube, Instagram and TikTok.
I was doing a lot of paid sponsorships for other people’s products and started wondering why I am not selling my own products. I created the website, courses, community and other products and I now solely focus on being a great teacher on social media so that students are interested in joining my premium courses.
More from Interviews
- A Chat with Dr Nirusa Kumaran, Founder and Medical Director at Elemental Health Clinic
- A Chat with Aaron Solomon, CEO and Co-Founder at Last Minute Reservations App: Ambl
- Meet Louis Coulon and Marko Vujasinovic, CEO and Co-Founder at HR Tech Company: CleverConnect
- Meet Jason Knights, Managing Director at External Maintenance Business: Ground Control
- Meet Dr Leslie Kanthan, Co-Founder and CEO at TurinTech: The Leader In Code Optimisation
- Meet Lalit Mangal, CEO at Hybrid Event Platform: Airmeet
- A Chat with Edward Goodchild, CEO and Co-Founder at Secure Identity Platform: Arbor Steel
- A Chat with Heidi Normanton, Founder at Low-Carb Keto Wholesaler: We Are Heylo
How has the company evolved during the pandemic?
The pandemic has been a real driver of change in the digital world. People are now super confident and comfortable with online classes and learning. It’s been a real eye opener for many people and helped push the industry forward in a way that supports our business objectives.
As the pandemic shrank everyone’s world to the confines of their home countries (and homes), English learners have been looking for new ways to achieve immersive language learning experiences.
We’ve built over 400 lessons and pivoted from being a digital only product, to a much more multimedia, multi-touch point platform that focuses on students being able to produce English through genuine interactions that mirror moving to a foreign country, as best as we can.
Personally, as a business owner, the pandemic has brought me closer to my partner who’s been more available to support me professionally, both as a consultant, and as a more hands-on father. I think it’s fair to say that the pandemic has had less of an impact on my ability to run my business than becoming a mother has!
What can we hope to see from English Like A Native in the future?
We’re hoping to be recognised for industry innovation awards and will be continuing to create first class online English learning courses and tools that help students to enjoy an engaging and immersive online experience.
After focusing the last couple of years on building out the product offering, we’ll be renewing our focus on organic growth through social media.