Virtue Water’s mission is to educate the United Kingdom on the benefits of ionised water, which has long been popular in the United States and Japan but has so far flown under the radar here.
We supply and install ionised water devices that can remove impurities from the standard drinking water supply and electrically charge the ions in it to raise the pH level and improve hydration.
The equipment alters the state of the water, raising the pH level from neutral to 9.5, or high alkaline, which is said to have a range of health benefits such as improved sleep as it helps neutralise acid levels in the body.
How did you come up with the idea for the company?
I first became aware of alkaline water in January 2020, particularly due to its potential to help boost the immune system.
I researched the popularity of the product in the United States and Japan, where it has been used for more than 60 years. This led to me buying a device and drinking high alkaline water myself, something I have done ever since.
My personal experience is it’s improved my energy levels, reduced fatigue, improved the condition of my skin, and given me overall better health. It has celebrity fans too, such as Beyonce, Tom Brady and Gwyneth Paltrow.
Only after trialing the product for six months did I decide to start the business, so that people across the UK could start to reap the health benefits just like I have.
More from Interviews
- A Chat with Mate Kun, Co-Founder at Food-Tech Startup: Growth Kitchen
- Meet Stephen McNulty, CEO and Founder at Environmental Risk Assessment Company: Ambisense
- Meet Henry Humphreys, Founder and Managing Partner at Humphreys Law
- Meet John Kirk, Chief Strategy Officer at Team ITG
- Daniella Peri, CEO at Yoppie: The Personalisation Of Menstrual Health & The Importance Of Full-Cycle Care
- A Chat with Rui Sales, Co-Founder and President at Fleet Maintenance Platform: Stratio
- A Chat with Maria Lozovik, Co-Founder and Portfolio Manager at Marsham Investment Management
- Meet Natalia Shahmetova, CMO at Gismart PetTech Company: Woofz
How has the company evolved during the pandemic?
We started the company during the pandemic, which probably wasn’t the easiest time to get a business up and running. But thankfully our first year has been great so far, and we’re confident we’ll be able to grow further as lockdown eases. On a practical level, we are an e-commerce business first and foremost, so customers have been able to browse and shop as normal.
However, as we need to visit the customers’ homes to fit the device, we must ensure we are complying with lockdown restrictions and social distancing measures at all times.
What can we hope to see from Virtue Water in the future?
A large part of our first year in business has been trying to raise the profile of ionised water in the UK and educate people on its potential health benefits. It is such a big market in the US and Japan and we really feel that there is huge scope for entering the health tech market here.
One day I want every household in the UK to have access to ionised water, which might seem ambitious but I’m fully convinced by the potential of our product.