- ApisProtect was founded by Dr Fiona Edwards Murphy and Dr Pádraig Whelan.
- The startup has created honey bee-saving technology to optimise the way beekeepers monitor hives.
- ApisProtect has raised a total $1.8 million from a Seed Round in November 2018.
Helping to optimise beekeeping operations with its ground-breaking technology, our Startup of the Week for this week is ApisProtect.
Founded in 2017 and headquartered in Cork, Ireland, ApisProtect was initially started up to create ground-breaking tech into hive-management. The company use a combination of technologies in both AI and IoT to remotely extract data from hives that is then interpreted and converted into valuable insights. These insights can then be used by beekeepers to optimise how they operate their resources and labour, maximising operations. ApisProtect claim that this can create an additional $100 of value per hive each year.
The global bee population is an essential component to the environment, global food security and human health, and is one that has been under continuous threat – declining from major global issues such as climate change and biocide use. ApisProtect’s technology is helping to take action against these threats, its cutting-edge innovations helping to save the honey bees.
More from Startups
- Startup of the Week: Canopy Group
- Concept Ventures Launches Oversubscribed £50m Largest Dedicated Pre-Seed Fund in the UK
- 11 Tips For Starting Your Own Business
- Tech Solutions All Startup Leaders Should Know About
- Startup of the Week: thelittleloop
- Startup of the Week: Wisdomise
- Startup Profile: KIDDYKIND
- Keyzy Rent to Own Solution – Startup Profile
To date, the Agtech startup have monitored more than 100 million honey bees from around the world, CEO and co-founder Dr Fiona Edwards Murphy commenting that “For the past 3 years, we have worked side by side with commercial and hobbyist beekeepers in the U.S. and Ireland to develop our remote beehive monitoring system, collating over 15 million data sets.”
“As we have seen with smart technology in all elements of our lives, the potential of collating data for improved decision making is transformative. By utilizing sensor technology within the beehive, we can provide the beekeeper with data to improve decision making and increase the strength and health of their honey bee colonies.”
ApisProtect’s product is currently the most innovative honey bee monitoring technology on the market for commercial beekeepers. This new tech means that beekeepers no longer have to rely purely on manual hive checks and thereby the risks associated with these that can deteriorate the condition of colonies past the point of rescue.
So far, ApisProtect has raised a total $1.8 million from one SeedRound that was announced on the 20th November 2018.