- HUN is a provider of premium quality, South African wine in a can.
- HUN launched in March this year during the UK’s first lockdown with witty outdoor ads.
- The startup has financial investment from David Coulthard, former F1 driver.
With a second national lockdown having just begun, and uncertainties rising around what will happen after the month is up, we thought we’d dedicate this Startup of the Week to a company who made the most out of a tricky situation – launching earlier this year during the UK’s first COVID-19 lockdown.
Launched during March of this year, HUN is a startup offering premium quality wine in a can. The wine offered by HUN is sourced from Stellenbosch in South Africa, and is the UK’s first Fairtrade, vegan friendly and fully recyclable can of wine.
HUN currently offer three different wines: HUN Rosé Bubbles, HUN Rosé and HUN Sauvignon Blanc. Customers have the option of ordering 6 or 12 cans, with a HUN selection box of all three available.
More from Startups
- YuLife Raises $120M Series C Round, Led By Dai-ichi Life, to Accelerate Global Expansion
- Startup of the Week: Joro
- The Turmeric Co – Founded By Thomas ‘Hal’ Robson-Kanu – TechRound’s Product Review
- Business Profile: Acopia
- Startup Of The Week: Clementine
- Startup Profile: Incube Space
- Nearly 20% of Business Owners Still Aren’t Using Technology Within Their Company
- Startup Of The Week: Lightyear
Behind the bold launch earlier this year are a group of friends from East London, all of which had no previous experience in the drinks industry, however through their existing connections were able to draw up an advisory board including the likes of James Bailey (Waitrose executive director) and Andy Shaw (former managing director of Redbull). HUN has also received financial investment from former F1 driver David Coulthard.
Before lockdown, HUN planned to launch as the exclusive wine for such popular festivals as All Points East, British Summer Time and the Mighty Hoopla. However, as the UK went into its first lockdown of the year, the innovative drinks startup had to think on its feet, deciding to make use of the very thing that ruined its initial launch plans with a tongue-in-cheek campaign.
This campaign included outdoor posters with such playful comments as “Our advertising agency put our poster out here. They’re not our advertising agency anymore.”, “Did you see our new advertising campaign? No, didn’t think so.” and “Look everybody! We’ve just launched a new wine. Anybody? Anybody? Anybody?”.
The billboard campaign was reported to have been a great success, receiving an incredible response during a time of great uncertainty for many businesses.
What HUN has in store for the future is yet to be revealed. However, with such fantastic business acumen, a positive, determined attitude, and a passion for its products, we believe HUN is one to watch for 2020 and beyond.