What is a Weighted Blanket?
- Heavy duty blanket is great for stress and anxiety
- Typically weighs 4.5kg to 9kg
- Filled with pellets and covered with a soft fabric
- Prices from Calming Blanket start at £119.00
At a time where we are all experiencing high-stress levels, weighted blankets have been seen to be helping people. More specifically, weighted blankets are helping to reduce anxiety, stress and sleep issues. With one in four people suffering from stress, anxiety or a similar mental disorder, weighted blankets are here to help those that it can benefit, as well as everyone else. For example, people are using it to reach the deep REM stage of sleep faster.
With a weighted blanket, producing a deep touch pressure stimulation, there are many beneficial effects. These include an increased amount of sleep, better overall sleep patterns, as well as a reduction in stress and anxiety levels. By reaching the REM stage of sleep faster and reduces stress, for example, people’s productivity levels and mental wellbeing is benefitted every time they use the blanket.
As we are approaching winter, the cold and rainy days, where all we want to do is lie on the sofa wrapped up warm, the weighted blanket is a must have. When owning the blanket, you are providing your proprioceptive sense to receive information for your brain more quickly and allowing your body and mind to relax because you are not agitated.
This explains why the weighted blanket is one you need this winter, the blanket that is reinventing how we sleep. Here are 8 of the best weighted blankets around…
TechRound’s Choice – Number 1 – Calming Blankets
- Helping with not only sleep, but also anxiety.
- The softest, soothing blankets on the market!
- Calming Blankets express shipping is completely FREE to the UK.
- Calming Blankets offer weighted blankets for children above the age of 3 as well as adults!
- Order today to claim their discounts they are offering by clicking here!
Their blankets are designed to help relieve the symptoms of insomnia, anxiety, stress, and various sensory disorders. Calming Blankets are delivered in a reusable, environmentally friendly bag, which is an added bonus for us!
With Calming Blankets, they guarantee there are 12 inner ties to ensure even weight distribution and craft the blanked from premium fabrics making it one of the softest, soothing blankets on the market. Calming blankets are reinventing how we sleep by creating a weighted blanket that is worth your money and offering you an amazing product. With that in mind, Calming Blankets settled on three most important factors that needed to be met to offer the best weighted blanket on the market – the softness of the fabric, sufficient weight, and great weight distribution.
- Even Weight Distribution – The main reason why a lot of people don’t experience the benefit of weighted blankets is the uneven weight distribution. Several factors play a part here, but the most important one is not having enough inner ties. Without them, the blanket bunches up and is heavier in places. Calming Blanket created a weighted blanket with non-toxic glass microbeads, and added 6 ties to the inner blanket that ensures it stays as aligned as possible with the outer cover. Once you cover up, the blanket falls perfectly into place and you’re ready for a good night’s sleep.
- Soft Fabric – A lot of manufacturers do not spend enough time thinking about the fabric for the outer cover of the blanket. The result is usually heavy, but uncomfortable weight pressing down on you. The Calming Blanket they created uses ultra soft minky fabric – the one that’s usually used in blankets for babies. It’s super soft, very cuddly, and doesn’t take much maintenance – you can even machine wash it!
- Sufficient Weight – Weighted blankets are designed to be 8-12% of your body weight. Some prefer their blankets on the heavier side, while some enjoy lighter pressure. With the Calming Blanket, you have several options (2.2kg 4.5kg, 6.8kg and 9kg) so you can easily order a weighted blanket that best suits your needs!
Number 2 – Remy Weighted Blanket
- Weight ranges from 6 kg to 10kg.
- Remy’s weighted blankets are constructed with bamboo, cotton, poly fibers and glass beads.
- The blanket is safe for pets, children, and those with sensitive skin, as well as adults.
- 4 different blankets to choose from; including the sleeper, the lounger, the sleep cover and the junior blanket.
Remy’s premium weighted blankets are designed to look like a stylish home accessory rather than a medical aid. The weighted beads are made from glass and the inner is secured to the removable cover with their unique 360° zip system that makes them simple and easy to use. Their blanket helps you fall asleep faster, for longer, and more deeply. With their unique 360° zip system that makes them simple and easy to use.
The Remy blanket can be used in a multitude of ways as there is no correct way to sleep underneath it. To experience the full benefits of deep pressure therapy, Remy advise having their weighted blankets covering your entire body.
Remy has engineered two types of Remy covers for different seasons of the year. For example, individuals that usually get warm at night should use their airy bamboo cover. More specifically, the soft cover is made from 100% bamboo material as it has the phenomenal ability to wick heat and moisture away from you. The inner layer for all Remy weighted blankets are made from 100% cotton.
Remy weighted blankets are recommended for individual use, rather than using it to share with a partner. This is because, after seeing the results of several scenarios, the fun benefits of deep pressure therapy were not experienced when the blanket was shared.
Number 3 – Sommio Weighted Blankets
- A modern approach to weighted blankets.
- Their blankets are either made from their revolutionary Weighted fabric or pure cotton.
- Experience the satisfying deep calm of a weighted blanket, with perfect weight distribution, no weight shifting and no overheating.
- All their products are hand-crafted!
- Enjoy the benefits of deep touch pressure stimulation with the blanket which hugs you back!
Sommio uses a material called Weightex that has the weight integrated into the fabric. This means the weight is evenly distributed over the body. Sommio offers a choice of weights, suggesting that blankets should be between 10-15% of your body weight.
Sommio’s weighted blankets are filled with hypoallergenic plastic pellets, which are durable, odorless and non-toxic. The calming effect of Sommio’s blanket suggests it can be used while sleeping, relaxing or meditating.
With their large variety of products to choose from, you can a traditional weighted blanket or a knitted weighted blanket.
Number 4 – The Gravity Blankets
- High-quality gravity blankets.
- Sustainable and environmentally friendly manufacturing process.
- Designed to give you a peaceful and healthy sleep!
Senso-Rex, the company behind Gravity Blankets, was founded in 2013 out of necessity. A small boy with autism quickly needed a weighted blanket, but most blankets available on the market were not affordable. That is why the founders of Senso-Rex decided to make the blanket themselves. Starting from just one blanket, the concept quickly took off…
The blankets were initially made in a small apartment and mainly sold in Poland. Now Gravity Blankets are located in a large, modern building with over 50 employees. Their gravity blankets are bought and appreciated by customers from all over the world.
Gravity Blankets are made with special deep touch technology that spreads even pressure all over your body. The weight of the blanket, which equals to approximately 10% of your own body weight, creates a pleasant and satisfying sense of well-being when using the blanket at night. The result is a euphoric feeling of complete relaxation for your body and nervous system. Your body releases serotonin (happiness hormone) and melatonin (sleep hormone), so you can fall asleep peacefully or sit calmly while relaxing on the couch. More specifically, their blankets are custom made:
- Inner weighted insert 100% cotton which comes from organic cotton providers in Spain.
- The cover is made from high quality velvet making their blankets cozy.
- The blanket has small square sections that are filled with glass micro-beads, which allows the weight to be distributed evenly.
Number 5 – Kalm Koala Blankets
- The Koala Blanket works to improve sleep, decrease stress and reduce anxiety.
- An eco-friendly and durable, yet extremely comfy weighted blanket!
- If you’re not satisfied with your blanket, you are able to return the blanket, no questions asked.
- The blanket is made from high-quality cotton and is environmentally-friendly.
The Koala Blanket is a therapeutic weighted blanket that uses deep touch technology to calm the central nervous system to help stabilise your stress levels, increase relaxation and improve sleep. The Koala Weighted Therapeutic Blanket is for anyone who has ever felt stressed out, overworked or has trouble sleeping. Using the Koala lowers your physiological arousal levels by mimicking the sensation of being cuddled.
Kalm Koala have made their blanket from bamboo and cotton, which took them 15 prototypes and 100’s of fabrics to get the perfect blanket! By using extra strong thread, Kalm Koala ensures the Koala blanket lasts a lifetime. Further, the Koala is double stitched for even more protection.
Number 6 – Mela Weighted Blankets
- The weighted blanket is grey, with a soft, textured surface.
- There are four weights, ranging from 5.5kg-11kg and three different sizes for adults and two weights and sizes for kids.
- Mela offers a 100-night trial where individuals who do not like their purchase can return the product for free.
- A portion of Mela’s sales go to a charity!
Mela’s goal is to help the world feel better, and sleep better. At Mela, they aim to create high quality, natural products that improve sleep, anxiety, and stress, at a fair price.
Mela blankets are made using anti-rustle glass quartz pellets, which move around silently and mould to your body shape. Those pellets are padded with polyester and encased in a breathable, 100% cotton outer shell, to help you maintain that just-right temperature.
Once you are in bed or sitting on the sofa, you arrange the weighted blanket to cover your whole body. If you wanted to, you can increase the weight by folding the blanket in half. There are different ways of using the blanket, with some choosing between having the blanket either on top or beneath their duvet. On the whole, weighted blankets are designed for individual use which is why Mela suggest using each individual to use their own.
Number 7 – Kally Sleep Weighted Blankets
- For all types of sleepers or just for comfort.
- Suitable for people weighing between 55-80kg.
- Kally’s weighted blankets are made from soft breathable quilted cotton fabric!
- The weighted blanket is hypoallergenic, ensuring a comfortable night’s sleep all around.
The Kally Weighted Anxiety Blanket uses Deep Pressure Touch Stimulation theory (pressure via touch), proven to produce a soothing effect that reduces anxiety and improves sleep. The Weighted Anxiety Blanket increases oxytocin, which helps to create a feeling of relaxation and improved sleep. The deep touch pressure stimulation also promotes the release of dopamine and serotonin, which have a calming effect that combats anxiety, stress and depression. The stimulation of serotonin releases melatonin hormones, which promote sleep and regulate the sleep cycle.
Each of the blanket’s quilted pockets are filled with tiny glass beads providing even pressure across your body stimulating each stress point. The weight and pressure creates a sense of being swaddles or hugged, and sense of security which helps the body to relax.
The blanket weighs 6.8kg and is advised to be used by those aged 12 and up. Kally promises quality by ensuring all blankets quilted pockets are filled with tiny glass beads to give you an even pressure all over the body.
Number 8 – Therapy Weighted Blanket
- Different weight options; including 3.2 kg (for children), 5kg, 7kg, 9kg and 11 kg.
- 3 colour options; including blue, grey and beige.
- THERA-TEX™ for all year round comfort!
Therapy’s signature weighted blanket is engineered to help ease stress and improve your sleep. The all new and improved Adaptive Series features a reversible cover with one side made from cooling bamboo fabric and the other side made from buttery soft micro plush fabric. The inner blanket features long staple premium cotton and is filled with high density glass beads to add an amazing weighted feel. The outer cover is also easily removable, revealing a weighted inner blanket made from premium long staple cotton.
Therapy Blanket’s weighted filling uses Dura-bead technology. It’s a unique high density glass micro-bead that stays quiet even when moving around. They’re non-toxic, food grade and odourless making them the perfect choice for blanket filling.
The Therapy team spends countless hours researching the best materials to help you fall asleep faster and helped them design the perfect blanket. After lots of research and testing, the team was able to design a cover that is designed to keep you warm during the colder months and cool during the summer months and is also completely removable, with the option to buy a summer cover for summer and spring seasons.
A bit more about Weighted Blankets
Weighted blankets are made to create a feeling of the body being hugged gently, making people feel more relaxed by the light pressure applied. The deep touch pressure makes people feel a deep sense of comfort, relaxation, and safety like a baby feels when they are swaddled. The concept behind the blanket is to replicate the same technique used for babies to help them sleep, swaddling the baby. The light pressure creates a safe sensation, with the blanket weighing between 4 to 30 pounds,ensuring the duration and quality of sleep is improved, lengthen certain stages of the sleep cycle.
Weighted blankets have been found to be safe for everyone over the age of two, with certain weighted blankets made for people of different ages. The weighted blanket can aid people to reduce their anxiety and can be helpful with certain conditions including ADHD, ASD, and sensory processing disorders.
The weighted blanket gives anyone who uses it a feeling of relaxation by trigger the release of serotonin and dopamine, two important neurotransmitters responsible for managing your sleep. By creating a sense of comfort, the blanket is able to help any adult suffering from low-quality sleep, sleep-related disorders, such as insomnia, anxiety, and depression.
How Much Does a Weighted Blanket Cost?
Weighted blankets are expensive, with some costing over £200. For this reason, we suggesting reading about each one before buying one so that you are able to find the best weighted blanket for you.
- Calming Blankets: From £89 for a child and £149 for an adult.
- Gravity: From £101.15 for a child and £126.55 for an adult.
- Kalm Koala: From £165.
- Remy: From £95 for a child and £129 for an adult.
- Mela: From £119.99.
- Kally Sleep: From £79.99.
- Therapy: From £109.
- Sommio: From £149.
Are Weighted Blankets Safe?
- Choose an appropriate size: You want to be able to move freely within the blanket.
- If you have challenges breathing, it may not be the best product for you.
- Choose the filling material with care: Neutral fillings allow for the flow of air to occur.
- Get the blanket repaired or replaced if there are any wears or tears.