- Healx is an AI-powered and patient-inspired technology company, accelerating the discovery and development of rare disease treatments.
- Healx was founded by Dr Tim Guilliams and Dr David Brown in 2014 in Cambridge, UK.
Healx is an AI-powered, patient-inspired technology company, leading the next wave of drug discovery to bring novel, effective treatments to rare disease patients around the world. Only 5% of the 7,000 known rare diseases currently have an approved treatment. To combat this, Healx is leveraging the power of artificial intelligence (AI) to identify entirely new therapies from existing compounds and rapidly progress them towards patients in need.
Healx’s innovative approach means they can accelerate the pace, increase the scale and improve the chance of success of rare disease treatment development in order to meet this huge unmet need.
Healx was founded by Dr Tim Guilliams, a Biochemical Engineer and tech entrepreneur, and Dr David Brown, co-inventor of Viagra and former Global Head of Drug Discovery at Roche. In 2019, Healx raised $56 million in Series B funding, which they used to further grow their preclinical and clinical pipeline and launch their Rare Treatment Accelerator – a partnership programme that connects patient groups, academics and early-stage biotechs with Healx in order to unlock the power of repurposed drugs.
In the last year, Healx has launched partnerships with six patient groups from around the world, welcomed tech titans like Meri Williams and Andrew Watson to the team, and grown their portfolio to now include over a dozen rare disease projects. Their first clinical programme is due to start in the coming months.
More from MedTech
- David Hancock: Why Interoperability In Healthcare Is Vital To Relieving Pressure On The NHS
- Cera Launches Flu Tracker And Treatment System To Protect Older People and The NHS This Winter
- Flow Neuroscience Receives Series A Funding To Make Self-Managed Medical Device Available Globally
- The Future of TeleMedicine Includes Physical Exams Thanks to Award-Winning Start-up: MedWand
- ANNOUNCED!!! TechRound’s Top 39 UK MedTech Companies
- 2. Huma
- 3. Proximie
- 4. Lumeon
Healx has raised a total of $67.9M in funding over 6 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Oct 16, 2019 from a Series B round. Healx is funded by 10 investors. Amadeus Capital Partners and Global Brain Corporation are the most recent investors.
In its most recent round of funding in 2019, Healx raised $56 million in Series B funding. This new financing will be used to develop the company’s “therapeutic pipeline” and to launch its global Rare Treatment Accelerator programme, which will partner with patient groups in an attempt to make rare disease drug discovery much more efficient. More broadly, the aim is to discover new treatments and move them toward clinic “within 24 months,” which is significantly faster than the status quo.