Company: Novus Capital
Founder: Jenson Brook
About Novus Capital
Novus Capital was founded in 2022 with a vision to become the UK’s leading alternative business funding specialist. We help businesses with government funding initiatives such as R&D tax or grant applications before assisting them with fundraising via debt and equity finance.
We’re applying for TechRound’s 29Under29 in support of our initiative: Britain’s Got Start-ups. Fundraising outside of London is very different to looking for investment in London. We believe this needs to change. So, in 2023, Britain’s Got Start-ups was born with a goal to spotlight emerging early-stage businesses in each region of the UK. Our events connect start-up and scale-up businesses with the right investors.
The aim is to create a platform for the best start-up and scale-up businesses in each region to access local, regional, London-based and international investors. We want to solve the fundraising challenge that most start-ups and scale-ups face. We plan to do this by boosting investment to improve the flow of early-stage capital in UK regions, outside of London.
How do we do that?
• Applications are open for businesses to apply to pitch at our regional events. The best start-ups and scale-ups are shortlisted and given an opportunity to pitch in front of a judging panel at their regional heat.
• The most successful businesses from the regional heat are invited to pitch at the main event in front of an audience of investors.
• The best businesses from each regional final will then be invited to London for an event series finale with international investors.
So far, Britain’s Got Start-up events have been a great success. Our pilot northern investment event in Leeds tested how the region would respond to a London-formatted event. We saw:
• 84 founder applicants
• 16 businesses pitch
• 40+ investor follow-ups
• 10 term sheets offered
Our November Britain’s Got Start-ups Manchester event took things up a level with:
• 117 founder applicants
• 24 shortlisted for the regional heat
• 12 businesses pitch
• 50+ follow-ups
• 5 term sheets offered two weeks post-event
Over the next seven months, we plan to host two further regional Britain’s Got Start-ups events with a finale in London. The London finale will bring the best of the best from each region together to pitch at an international investment platform. In 2024/2025, we aim to expand Britain’s Got Start-ups to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.